Photographs and articles from this website, or my blog or TrekEarth and Pbase galleries, may be copied, distributed and shared in accordance with the Attribution Non-commercial Share Alike (by-nc-sa) 3.0 Creative Commons Licence.
The licence conditions are summarised here: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0
And the full licence is here: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode
In summary this means that you can use my photographs without getting permission from me PROVIDED it is for non-commercial use and PROVIDED you include the required attribution.
The ATTRIBUTION CONDITIONS are as follows:
1. For printed photographs and articles, the words ‘by David Astley’ should be included.
2. For photographs and articles used on websites, the words ‘David Astley’ should be hyperlinked to the home page of www.xyzasia.com
Provided you have met the above conditions, you do not have to notify me that you are using my photographs (but if you have the time to let me know, that would be appreciated).
Examples of NON-PROFIT ORGANISATIONS which have published my photographs with attribution include:
- Global Heritage Fund (US)
- Illustrated Dictionary of World Buddhist Arts (Taiwan)
- International Programs Centre, University of Oklahoma (US)
The only organisations that have been granted permission to use my photographs for non-commercial use without attribution are:
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, Philadelphia (documentary video)
- Asia-Pacific Media Alliance for Social Awareness (any promotional use)
- International Development Research Centre, Canada (website)
- Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme (any promotional use)
- UNICEF (website, brochures and posters)
For COMMERCIAL USE, you must contact me at the email address shown on the contact page of this website.
To date I have provided commercial licences to the following organisations to use my photographs:
- Bob Jones University Press, USA ('Geography 3rd edition' textbook)
- Event Management Sdn Bhd, Malaysia (corporate presentations)
- Herff Jones Inc, USA (Nystrom Desk Atlas website)
- Ocean Realm Journal, USA (diving magazine)
- The Planning Center, Costa Mesa, California (calendar)
- TravelAndLeisure.com, New York (‘World’s Coolest Bridges’ feature)
- Star Newspapers Pty Ltd, Australia (‘Tropical Gardening’ magazine)
- WH Freeman/Worth Publishers, New York (‘World Regional Geography’ textbook)
If you see any commercial uses not listed above, I would much appreciate you bringing them to my attention.
I have edited and undertaken photography for two books:
'The Essential Guide to Growing Orchids in the Tropics' by Chia Tet Fatt and David Astley, published by Marshall Cavendish in 2011 (ISBN: 978-981-4351-39-3)
'The Australian Tropical Gardening Guide' by Dennis Hearne, photography by Peter Bowey and David Astley, illustrations by Claudia Tregoning, published in 1981 (now out of print)
One of my photographs from my PBase North Korea gallery titled ‘Spectacular Arirang’ (http://www.pbase.com/banyanman/image/54667090) was featured in ‘For the Eyes of the Dear Father’ by Suk-Young Kim in ‘Performance, Politics and Activism’ published by Palgrave-MacMillan Press in April 2013
Another photograph from that gallery titled 'Paying homage to the Great Leader' (http://www.pbase.com/banyanman/image/54667094) was featured in an exhibition titled ‘Asia - an Itinerarium on the Silk Way’ by the Centro di Ricerca e Archiviazione della Fotografia in Lestans, Italy.